GUMC Ministries and Charitable Giving
The people of Granger United Methodist Church are very generous givers following after Rule 5 of John Wesley's Rules for United Societies.
“It is expected of all who continue in these societies, that they should continue to evidence their desire of salvation. Secondly, by doing good, by being, in every kind, merciful after their power; as they have opportunity, doing good of every possible sort, and as far as is possible, to all men; — to their bodies, of the ability which God giveth, by giving food to the hungry, by clothing the naked, by visiting or helping them that are sick, or in prison….”
Below is a list of the charities/causes that the Church supports. Every charity name that is underlined has a hot link to the charity's website. (<Click> on any title in Red )
UMC Affiliated Giving
· Church World Service - CWS is a non-denominational relief agency. GUMC supports the CWS blanket program through its sale of hand made greeting cards. The school supply kits we assemble are distributed through CWS.
· Empty Bowls - GUMC hosted their first Empty Bowls project in March 2011. By partnering with nearby GrangerElementary school, a meal of soup and bread was served. The bowls, made by the Granger Elementary 5th grade students were taken home by those who attended, as a reminder that there will always be “Empty Bowls” somewhere in the world. Proceeds from the meal went to hunger agencies; locally, nationally and internationally.
· Red Bird Mission School - GUMC supports this mission school financially and by providing school supplies; including copy paper, curriculum, literature, and more. The school is also the recipient of Granger’s collection of Campbell’s soup labels and Box Tops for Education.
· Susan Brunk - GUMC proudly financially supports Susan Brunk, a United Methodist missionary, through a “covenant relationship”, promising to support them financially and through prayer. Susan currently serves as a school nurse in the Red Bird Missionary Conference.
One Great Hour of Sharing Sunday
Human Relations Sunday
Native American Ministries Sunday
Peace with Justice Sunday
UMC Student Day Sunday
World Communion Sunday
· UMCOR - GUMC supports UMCOR (United Methodist Committee on Relief) through apportionments paid to the East Ohio UMC Conference. We publish any special appeals that are made and forward thousands of dollars each year that are collected from individual gifts. GUMC also prepares disaster relief kits, flood buckets and school kits for distribution by UMCOR.
GUMC Internal Ministries
· Adopt a Family - Each Christmas season, the GUMC Mission Outreach Team, along with the Granger United Methodist Women, select several local families in need to help at Christmas time. GUMC provides gifts, food and if feasible, any special need the family may have.
. Aldi’s Gift Cards - GUMC’s Faith Sharing Ministry Team purchases gift cards and passes them out to families in need.
· Pastor’s Discretionary Fund - The PDF is a fund administered by the pastor that allows the pastor to provide help to a person or family who has an immediate need for assistance and generally has no where else to turn until another social agency can provide help. The congregation supports this fund through individual gifts and a “We love our Granger Church Family” bake sale held annually, the Sunday before Valentines Day.
· School Supplies- At the close of each school year, GUMC collects used school supplies from the Highland elementary schools. These supplies are “reclaimed” and packaged into school kits that are distributed each fall to students attending school in Akron. Additionally, these supplies have also been sent to Zimbabwe, Philippines, Cleveland and Medina students. Each fall, new school supplies are packaged into handmade school bags then shipped to relief agencies such as UMCOR or CWS to be distributed where needed.
· Tape Ministry - The tape ministry provides audio copies of the Sunday service to shut-ins who do not have Internet access.
· Battered Woman’s Shelter - The Granger United Methodist Women support the Summit and Medina County Battered Women’s Shelter both financially and with material donations.
· Berea Children’s Home - GUMC supports this agency financially and by collecting toys and clothing at Christmas for distribution to children at the Berea Children’s home.
· Hospice of Medina County - Several of our GUMC men volunteer weekly to pick up and deliver donations to the resale store, Life’s Treasures.
· Flat Rock Childrens Home - GUMC supports this agency with an annual financial donation.
· Let’s Make A Difference - GUMC United Methodist Women provide support to this organization which provides support to the low-income children of MedinaCity.
· Margaret House – Margaret House is a battered woman shelter. Support for this Medina Light Ministries project is through GUMC’s UMW.
· Medina Community Service Center - The MedinaCommunityServiceCenter is a community outreach program of the MedinaSeventhDayAdventistChurch. Each month the MCSC makes an appeal for certain food or household supply item which GUMC member can donate or make a cash contribution. In addition, bi-annual brown bag collections are taken resulting in over 160 bags full of nonperishable food items and paper products. GrangerChurch also hosts a Farmer’s Market for the congregation with all monetary and produce donations benefiting the MCSC. Souper Bowl Sunday collection of soup generates over 200 containers of soup each Feb. for the food pantry. $300.00 worth of children’s shoes and socks are donated at the beginning of each school year. Underwear and sock collections are taken each Christmas. The UMW supports this agency financially each year along with material donations for Christmas baskets.
· Medina County Jail Ministries – GUMC supports the jail ministries of Chaplains Larry and Susan Jarvis.
· Medina Light Ministries – Medina Light Ministries was founded by Larry and Susan Jarvis. The ministry includes a Medina County Jail ministry and a battered woman’s shelter (Margaret House).
· Open M - Open M is an intercity ministry in Akron. GUMC collects food and church volunteers serve food at the Open-M service center.GUMCalso provides financial support through a covenant relationship and participation in the Walk for Kids hosted each May.
. Operation Homes – Operation Homes is a program to provide shelter to homeless families in Medina county. GUMC and other local churches take turns providing shelter for a week for select homeless adults and families.
· Beads for Life - GUMC has proudly hosted three jewelry sales events generating over $7,000 for this nonprofit organization that provides support and education for the women and children in Uganda. The UMW also has a small ongoing “Fair Trade” display in the back of the Sanctuary where Beads for Life bracelets and soap are available for sale.
· Boy Scouts – GUMC is home to Boy Scout Troop 511.
. Crop Walk – Crop Walk is a mission of Church World Service. It is a program to eradicate world hunger. GUMC members participate in the annual Medina County Crop Walk by volunteering to walk a specified distance in exchange for donations.
· Equal Exchange Coffee and Coop – GUMC offers Equal Exchange coffee and other products for sale at the church.
· Habitat for Humanity - Habitat for Humanity is supported by individuals at our church who volunteer at the local habitat building sites or work at the local Habitat store or who provide cash donations directly to the Habitat mission locally or internationally.
· Heifer International – GUMC collects at Christmas to support Heifer International. Our generous members typically donate enough money to purchase at least an Ark of animals.
· Red Cross Blood Drive – GUMC typically hosts two Red Cross Blood Drives.
· Relay for Life – Many GUMC members (some breast cancer survivors) walk in the annual Relay for Life Walk-a-Thon. We also support them through a bake sale each year.
· Strength for Service - GUMC collected money to purchase these devotional books for our troops and also local first responders.
· UNICEF– Each year at Halloween, GUMC Youth collect for UNICEF. They collected enough money in 2011 to drill eight wells in Central Africa, Tonga and Vietnam.
. Valentines for Vets
. Zimbabwe School - GUMC has participated in two book drives to begin libraries in the Methodist Mission Schools in Old Mutawe, Zimbabwe. We also sponsor three students that attend this school.